I owe this one to HowDoesSheDoIt.com and they apparently got it from the WomenHeart’s All Heart Family Cookbook. Wherever it comes from, it’s worth repeating. Yummy! Satisfying and just perfect for a cold day! Tons of soluble fiber and under 300 calories for huge cup!
1 cup = 4 points on the Weight Watchers tracker!
Black Bean Chili
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 1/2 large peeled sweet potato
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 15 oz cans rinsed/drained black beans
- 2 cans chopped whole tomatoes (I used the fire roasted) with the juice
- 1 finely diced jalapeno chili
- 1 ripe avocado (optional)
- Heat the oil in a lage saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and the potato. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, chili powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the black beans, tomatoes and chili pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- You can top this with some sliced avocado, low fat cheese or even non-fat sour cream. Just be sure to count those calories!
I used dried black beans and soaked them over night (less salt and a little more texture to the soup). Drain the water away after and cook them in water or vegetable broth for about 30 minutes before combining with the soup.
Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”