If breakfast is your challenge when you’re trying to eat healthily, Air Fryer Breakfast Burritos are a flavor-packed alternative. I fall into the trap of eating cakes and cookies instead of building a good breakfast. Air Fryer Breakfast Burritos are my “go to” recipe when I want something tasty with a big presentation factor.
Air Fryer Breakfast Burritos
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Packed with nutrition and a lot of flavors, Breakfast Burritos are quick and most of the recipe can be prepared well in advance.
- Black Bean Mash:
- 2 15-ounce cans of black beans (rinsed)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- Spicy Filling
- 1/2 pound spicy chorizo
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 yellow, red or orange bell pepper chopped
- Eggs – 1 per person
- salt and pepper
- Salad Topping
- 1/2 head Romain lettuce finely shredded
- 10-12 grape tomatoes halved
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 diced avocado
- Sour cream
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded.
- Make the beans in advance. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook about a minute until fragrant. Add the beans, 1/2 cup of water or chicken stock and the chipotle pepper. Cook until the liquid is reduced and the beans are heated through and soft (about 30 minutes). Mash with a potato masher leaving some texture. Stir in the cilantro. Set aside to cool.
- Put the tomatoes, avocado, green onions and salt in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper and fold together. Squeeze in the lime juice and oil cilantro and watercress. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet until it begins to shimmer. Add the chorizo after removing it from the casing and brown, stirring frequently, until crumbly. Remove the sausage and set aside. Add the onions and pepper to the drippings and cook to soft. Add this to the chorizo and set aside. Beat eggs in a bowl and add to skillet and scramble to soft curds. Remove from heat and add back the chorizo, peppers, and onions.
- Place a flour tortilla on a board and spread with beans on the lower half. leaving a 1-inch border at the bottom. Top with some chorizo and egg filling. Sprinkle grated Monterey Jack over this mixture. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and then roll from the bottom into a cylinder. Place seam-side down in the basket of an air fryer. Repeat until all the tortillas are assembled (1 or 2 per person). Brush the top of the tortillas with canola oil and “fry” at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Transfer burritos to a platter or individual plates. Top with salad mixture, salsa remaining Monterey Jack and a dollop of sour cream.
- I like to serve this with citrus slices.