Time to celebrate meat and potato lovers, there’s finally a decent substitute to those high calorie mashed potatoes. The figure-friendly cauliflower can be dressed up as a substitute and save you a lot of calories.
The problem with mashed potatoes isn’t the potato itself, but the amount of dairy that gets added to standard mashed potatoes that drives up the calorie count to more than 200 per 1-cup serving. This version of garlic mashed cauliflower adds only 50 calories per cup!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. low-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and steam until cooked, approximately 12 minutes.
- While the cauliflower steams, warm the olive oil in a small pan with the garlic.
- Puree about 1/3 of the cauliflower in a food processor with the olive oil and garlic until smooth. Addi another 1/3 of the cauliflower to the processed mixture with the parmesan. Finally add the last 1/3 installment with the cream cheese and process until soft and creamy.
- Salt to taste and serve warm.
I made these two nights ago and while it’s not your Grandma’s mashed potato taste, it passes. Considering the calorie saving, it’s worth the sacrifice.